After rumours of Google completely ‘cancelling’ the Pixel 5a started swirling around, Google made a statement to 9to5Google in which it said, ““Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled. It will be available later this year in the U.S. and Japan and announced in line with when last year’s a-series phone was introduced.” So, it looks like in most markets, the Pixel 5a stands to be cancelled except the two mentioned by Google in the statement.
It all started with a tweet by prolific tipster Jon Presser who said that Google has cancelled the Pixel 5a due to the ongoing chip shortage crisis prevalent in the tech industry. Prosser took to Twitter to share the news. A further report by Android Central also ‘confirmed’ the news.
Bad news. “Barbet” (Pixel 5A) has been canceled. 😞I’m told it’s due to the chip shortage, and as of this mornin… https://t.co/c8Q28PywWi
— Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser) 1617980442000
As per Prosser’s tweet, the Pixel 5a was internally codenamed the Barbet by Google. The chip crisis, as per Prosser, has led to the cancellation of the smartphone.
Just earlier this week, Google confirmed the dates of I/O 2021 — one of its biggest event of the year. Almost every year Google uses the event to reveal the new version of Android — 12 this year — and has been the launchpad of the affordable Pixel. It was widely expected that at the event — to be held virtually between May 18-20 — that the Pixel 5a would see the light of the day. However, Prosser and the report by Android Central suggest that there won’t be an affordable Pixel this year.
The global semiconductor shortage has affected several brands with Samsung also reportedly cancelling the Note series smartphone this year.